|Table of Contents|
Teachers will enter attendance electronically, by the end of the period except for the last period of the day. For the last period of the day, attendance should be taken and submitted within 15 minutes of the end of the period.
The following exceptions for entering electronic attendance are: substitute teachers, teachers without access to a computer at the time attendance is required, and when the student information system cannot be accessed due to power, network, or system outages. All teachers are to have a paper roster in the classroom in the event of such exceptions. The teacher will send an attendance roster (Register Report) to the office before the end of each period. All substitute teachers will have an Infinite Campus generated student roster for each period they will complete and send to the office before the end of each period. The secretary will enter the attendance through the Classroom monitor and will file the attendance rosters in the appropriate daily attendance folder.
Teachers only have access to enter attendance for the current day. They cannot enter or edit attendance for previous or future days. Teachers will be able to view attendance entered by the office, but are unable to override the attendance. If they have a correction it must be submitted to the secretary in writing. The secretary will make corrections according to Board guidelines.
Secretaries will confirm that attendance has been entered each period by teachers through the Classroom Monitor.
- Enter attendance rosters for substitute teachers, teachers without access to a computer and when the student information system cannot be accessed.
- Enter late arrivals using the Attendance Wizard. This process will calculate minutes accurately for students, but will not interfere with attendance entries for other periods.
- Generate the Caller Report at the end of the first period, or beginning of 2nd period, after all Attendance is entered.
- Enter the early leaves using the Attendance Wizard.
- It is recommended to print the register report daily the first week of school. After the first week of school, it is recommended to print the Register Report weekly, or as students are scheduled into the course. Teachers will still need to enter their attendance electronically. The only time the paper rosters will be submitted to the office is if there is a substitute teacher or Infinite Campus is down. The Secretary will retain these rosters as documentation and file them in their daily attendance file.
All teachers must enter their attendance electronically. School Secretaries can enter attendance from an Infinite Campus generated roster for substitute teachers and teachers who do not have access to a computer. It is recommended the attendance roster is signed & dated by the teacher submitting the attendance before sending to the office.
Period Attendance Entry Step-by-Step
Step One – Enter Absences
Infinite Campus generated student rosters
Classroom teachers are responsible for submitting attendance through Infinite Campus Instruction. It is recommended teachers have current printed Attendance Register by Period for every period available, in the event they do not have access to enter attendance electronically. The secretary will use the roster for attendance entry through Classroom Monitor. Attendance not recorded on an Infinite Campus generated roster should not be accepted.
Printing the Register Report for Teachers
There are three different attendance rosters (aka Registers) that can be generated.
- PATH: Index > Attendance > Reports > Attendance Register by Period (This is the preferred report)
- PATH: Index > Attendance > Reports > Sub Attendance Roster
- PATH: Index > Attendance > Reports > Register (This report cannot be generated by teachers)
Attendance Register By Period Report (Preferred Report)
PATH: Index > Attendance > Reports > Attendance Register by Period
The Attendance Register by Period rosters can be generated for specific periods of the school day. This is the preferred report as it clearly states the attendance date. It can also be generated for all period for a specific teacher. This report can be generated for sub teachers.
Select a Term from the drop-down menu.
Enter the date or date range in either format shown.
Select the schedule type from the drop-down menu.
Select a Period defaults to all. A specific period can be selected using the drop-down menu.
Select a Teacher defaults to all. A specific teacher can be selected using the drop-down
- Generate Report
The report displays as shown. Please note that at this time, any attendance already entered in Infinite Campus for students will not display on the report.
Attendance Register Report
PATH: Index > Attendance > Reports > Register
If the attendance roster is being generated for every teacher for every period, generate the Register report. If students have attendance events entered in Infinite Campus, they will display on the report:
Enter the criteria for the report
- Select Course Section Attendance Register.
- Select By Date: Enter the Start and End Date
- How would you like the report oriented? Select Portrait
- Select Teachers and Sections.
- To generate for all classes for all teachers, leave at the default of All Teachers, All Sections.Sort by name:
To generate the report for a particular course (ex: homeroom) highlight all of the Homeroom Attendance sections (if applicable). To Select multiple sections, click on the first section, click the shift key, hold the left mouse button, and scroll to the last attendance section.
- What options would you like to use for printing?
- Select Include only Instructional Days
- Select Use District Attendance Codes.
- How would you like to sort students?
- Select Teacher or Courses
- Click Generate Report.
Sub Attendance Roster
PATH: Index > Attendance > Reports > Sub Attendance Roster
The Sub Attendance Roster can only be generated for one day. However, it can be generated for a range of periods, for specific teachers:
Effective Date defaults to the current date. The date can be changed by typing in another date or use the date selector. It is imperative that the date on the rosters is the date that the attendance is being recorded for
Period: Leave blank to generate the report for all periods.
- Click on a specific period to generate the report for one period.
- Use the CTRL key and left mouse button to select specific periods.
- Teacher: Click on the name of the teacher the substitute is there for.
Use the CTRL key and left mouse button to select specific periods.
Click Generate Report.
Step Two - Enter Classroom Attendance using Classroom Monitor
Enter the Infinite Campus generated paper roster received for a teacher who is subbing, for a teacher who does not have computer access or the computer is not working. The absences must be entered using the Classroom Monitor.
The Classroom Monitor will open to the current date.
- To change the date, type the date or use the calendar tool to select the date. Click the Refresh button to reload the Classroom Monitor for the selected date.
- Sections displaying as pink indicate that attendance has not been entered and saved
- Sections displaying as green indicates that attendance has been entered and saved for that course. If all students are present, the teacher will still need to click on the section and click Save.
- The number of student’s present displays with the number of students scheduled.
The teachers are listed in alphabetical order by last name. To the right of the teacher’s name, click on the course section. The screen opens to reflect the teacher view of attendance.
All students are Present by default. Mark the student’s absent by clicking the radio button under A or under T for Tardy. It is optional to enter comments in the Comments field in the Classroom Monitor. Comments entered here will display on the Portal. If all students are present, skip to Step 4.
NOTE: Do not enter tardy in the Classroom Monitor if the student was late to school. Only enter Tardies in the Classroom Monitor if the student was Tardy to Class.
Click Save. The page will refresh and display the Classroom Monitor view with the course section just modified in green.
If a student arrived to school on time, but was late getting to class, the teacher may mark the student with a "T" if they are just wanting to indicate that the student was late to their class. The Tardy Unknown will then be changed to a TTC: Tardy to Class using the Attendance Wizard.
Students scheduled into Attendance Taking Blocker Courses must be marked absent daily in the classroom monitor. Attendance must be entered on the No Show, Unable to Locate and Located Not Attending blocker courses daily. For more information on these courses, visit the attendance blocker section of /wiki/spaces/SC/pages/437289079
Step Three - Verify Classroom Attendance Has Been Entered
Use the Classroom Monitor to verify that attendance has been entered by the teacher. It is also used to enter student attendance for sub teachers or teachers without computer access.
PATH: Index> Attendance > Classroom Monitor
The Classroom Monitor will open to the current date. To change the date, type the date or use the calendar tool to select the date. Click the Refresh button to reload the Classroom Monitor for that particular date.
Throughout the day, check the Classroom Monitor for completion of attendance for courses.
Use the scroll bar see all classes
Sections appearing in pink indicate that attendance has not been taken for that course. Sections appearing in green indicates that attendance has been entered for that course. Notice that the number of students present displays with the number of students scheduled into a course.
Hover over the course to view the course number, section number, the course name, and the room number.
For a printable list of teachers who have not entered attendance Generate an Incomplete Teacher Attendance report Break
Step Four - Late Arrivals
Students who arrive after the official start of school are considered to be tardy to school and must sign in at the schools designated attendance area. When a student arrives to school late, the students first and last name, time and reason must be recorded on the Student Late Arrival Log. This log is a paper document that will be used to record the information into Infinite Campus. The log must be maintained in the corresponding daily attendance file.
PATH: Index > Attendance > Attendance Wizard
Late arrivals entered from the log must be entered using the Batch mode in the Attendance Wizard. This process will calculate minutes accurately for students, but will not interfere with attendance that may have been entered by teachers for other period(s).
Date: defaults to the current date, but can be changed by typing in the date or using the Date Selector
Mode: Select Batch
Students: Search for the student by name.
The Search results will appear in Columns B and C if you search for an individual student. If you search for multiple students, you must click on their name in Column B to move them to Column C, after each search.
Select the appropriate attendance code based on documentation on the Student Late Arrival Log and/or documentation from the parent
TUX - Tardy Unexcused
TEX - Tardy ExcusedPALA - Parent Authorized Late Arrival
From Date is the date the student reported late to school; From Time is the time school begins for the day.
To Date is the date the student reported late to school; To Time is the time the student arrived at school, recorded on the Student Late Arrival Log. The system will calculate the time the student was absent from school and will calculate the minutes present.
It is required to enter the time the student arrived at school and a comment (as applicable) in the Comments field.
Comments Options: Append comments
Make sure that Overwrite Existing Data is marked.
|The good news is that a student does not have to be marked absent before entering the late arrival!|
Step Five - Tardy to Class
Students who are at school, but have arrived late to their classroom for various reasons, usually due to being in the breakfast room too long, are considered tardy to class. Attendance can be marked as tardy through classroom monitor by the teacher. The tardy entered by the teacher will be changed to a TTC: Tardy to Class automatically overnight.
Step Six - Printing the Caller Report
The Caller Report prints a list of students who are marked as absent unknown and includes the parent/guardian names, home phone number, work phone number and parent/guardian email. This report only prints students marked with an “A” (Absent Unknown) in the Classroom Monitor. It is necessary to print this report before using the Attendance Wizard to change unknown absences to unexcused absences for the day. Once the attendance codes have been changed to unexcused or excused, those students names will no longer appear on the caller report. File this report with the Summary Report, Late Arrival Logs, Early Leave logs in the Daily Attendance File.
PATH: Index Tab > Attendance > Daily Attendance > Caller Report
The Caller Report will generate with a list of students who have an Unknown absence for any period until the time the report is being generated. The report includes the guardian information, including name and contact numbers.Break
The report opens in PDF format; click the Print icon to print the report or the Save icon to save it to your computer.
Each school is directed to have an Attendance team. Designated member(s) of the team are to make phone calls to the parent/guardian of students absent the current day. The Caller Report (generated above) is an excellent tool to use when making the calls. It is suggested, and helpful, to keep action notes directly on the caller report, however this does not replace documentation required for a students individual attendance folder.
Examples would be:
- You attempted to contact the home number but there was no answer. Record the date you called and state "no answer".
- The student was marked Absent Unknown (A) before mom called in that the student would be out ill. Record "parent called in".
Step Seven - Editing Attendance Reasons
The Daily Attendance tool allows a user to see at a glance all students who have an attendance event (absence/ tardy/early leave etc.) for a selected day. From here, a user with the proper rights may also edit an attendance event.
PATH: Index > Attendance > Daily Attendance
When a parent calls in or provides a note to excuse the absence for that day and the student’s attendance has already been marked as an unexcused absence, the user can click on the attendance code to make edits. The conversation must be documented on the /wiki/spaces/SC/pages/131858484.
Select the Attendance code from the drop-down list.
Enter a Comment - CCS requires a comment to be entered when codes other than UNX, TUX and EUX are an excused code is used.
Click Fill Down (Note: Do not use the Fill Down feature if there is not an absence entered for every attendance period.)
Click Save at the top of the tab.
Step Eight - Students Leaving Early
When a student leaves school early, the parent must sign them out on the /wiki/spaces/SC/pages/131858484. The student's first and last name, time, reason, and the parent/guardian's signature must be recorded on the Student Release Log. This log is a paper document that will be used to record the information into Infinite Campus. The log must be maintained with the daily attendance files.
Just like late arrivals, early leaves will be entered using the Batch mode in the Attendance Wizard. This process will calculate minutes accurately for students, but will not interfere with attendance that may have been entered by teachers for other period(s).
|To prevent inaccurate data entries, enter Early Leaves at the end of the day. If a student leaves early then returns, the time of leaving and the time of return will be recorded accurately.|
Path: Index > Attendance > Attendance Wizard
- Date: defaults to the current date, but can be changed by typing in the date or using the Date Selector
- Mode: Select Batch
- Students: Search for the student by name.
- Click Search
- The Search results will appear in Columns B and C if you search for an individual student. If you search for multiple students, you must click on their name in Column B to move them to Column C, after each search.
- Enter the appropriate attendance code based on documentation on the Student Early Leave Log and/or documentation from the parent
- EUX: Early Leave Unexcused
- ELV: Early Leave Excused PAEL: Parent Authorized Early Leave.
- From Date is the date of the early leave; From Time is the time the student signed out.
- To Date is the date of the early leave; To Time is the time school ends for the day.
It is required to enter the leave time and a comment in the Comments field.
Comments Options: Append comments
Leave Overwrite Existing Data checked.
Click Save Attendance.Enter
- Enter Early Leaves no later than the following school day.
Step Nine – Filing and Storing Attendance Notes and Documents.
Daily Attendance Documentation File - Every school is to have a daily attendance documentation folder for each day of the school year. This folder will be used to file the following documents:
Student Late Arrival Log
Student Release Log
Route Lists of late bus arrivals
Fields trips, etc.
Attendance corrections for that day
- Paper Register/Rosters used to enter attendance
Student Attendance File - Every student with attendance events should have a folder for:
- Parent/Guardian notes
- Student Absence Notification Forms
- Class Excused Forms
- Request for Principal Approval Forms
- Other attendance documentation for that student
It is required that all attendance documentation be stored at the school until further notice.